Monthly Download / December 31st, 2019
The Monthly Download for December 2019
By Steven Kreschollek
Welcome to the second issue of Monthly Download, featuring links to a wide variety of topics and things we found interesting this month.
It's almost 2020, which continues to blow my mind. This year has blown by! Bring on the next!
- Is Sketches plan for 2020 enough to stem the tide of Figmas rocket growth? (My hot take? No)
- 20 famous logo parodies. In case you needed a little laughter this time of year.
- Microsoft removed a Santa hat from VS Code because of an issue filed from a likely troll, and the responses were... interesting?
- Happy to start seeing some more Swift projects hitting the greater dev-o-sphere, like this project; Publish: a static site generator built for Swift developers.
- Holiday (really, year-round) tips for safe engagement on public WiFi courtesy of the Portland FBI Field Office
- If you want to hire an SEO or an agency for SEO - make sure you check out Google's guidelines on what to look for.
- If you want "2020" advice on SEO - start by educating yourself. Search Engine Land has a great entry level field guide: https://searchengineland.com/guide/what-is-seo
Around the techno-sphere
- Google is getting serious about The Cloud, again, telling staffers they have until 2023 to make serious gains. What that means after 2023, is anyone's guess.
- LogMeIn was sold to a private equity firm this month. While I used to personally love, and recommend LogMeIn, some interesting choices over the last few years have left a bad taste in my mouth. We'll see how that evolves.
- A new PinePhone review. I've been watching GNU/Linux-powered smartphones projects this year, and am looking forward to picking up a PinePhone sometime next year.
- Dropbox Transfer is the most exciting thing to happen at Dropbox since they axed Mailbox :'(